Dear Records Custodian,
This is a California Public Records Act request. Definition: by "communications" I mean any e-mails, letters, faxes, hand written notes, phone logs, or other conveyances of information between parties. Please provide me with copies, preferably in a standard electronic format, of the following records held by your agency.
1. Any and all communications between any employee or representative of the McConnell Group, and employees of the city of Oakland within the Department of Housing and Community Development. To assist you in your search for records, please note the following information. The McConnell Group is a lobbying organization registered with the city of Oakland: http://www2.oaklandnet.com/Government/o/CityAdministration/d/PublicEthics/DOWD005782. Mr. Gregory McConnell is the principal of the McConnell Group, and his web site lists the following persons as employees: Kimberley McConnell and JR McConnell. Mr. Gregory McConnell, Kimberley McConnell and JR McConnell may be using e-mail addresses ending in the web domain "@themcconnellgroup.com", but if other e-mail addresses are discovered to be in use, please include those records also.
2. Any and all communications between employees of the city of Oakland who work in the Department of Housing and Community Development and members of "The McConnell Group Network," which is described on the McConnell Group's web site as "an outstanding team of attorneys, political and media consultants, and pollsters" who work in association with the McConnell Group. Members of this network are not identified individually, however they may represent themselves as such in communications with the city.
3. Any and all communications between any employee of the McConnell Group and any members of the city council or their staff between the dates of December 1, 2013 and Feb 26, 2014 regarding Oakland's (a) rent adjustment program, (b) capital improvement regulations pertaining to landlords, (c) amortization rules related to real estate investments and cost pass throughs to tenants, (d) caps on capital improvement cost pass throughs, (e) petitions for capital improvement rent increases carried out by landlords, and (f) debt service regulations governing landlords in the city of Oakland.
3. Any and all communications between any employee of the McConnell Group and any members of the city council or their staff between the dates of December 1, 2013 and Feb 26, 2014 regarding the following items of legislation:
(1) Amendments To Capital Improvement Regulations https://oakland.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=1656658&GUID=55E43B44-4F99-4AE0-BDFC-562859FB173C&Options=&Search=
(2) An Ordinance Amending The Rent Adjustment Ordinance (O.M.C. 8.22.090B) To Require Property Owners Seeking Rent Increases Based On Capital Improvements To File Owner Petitions - https://oakland.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=1656659&GUID=55C24634-7641-480F-92EB-23B49139B765&Options=&Search=
(3) Amendments To Debt Service Regulations - https://oakland.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=1656660&GUID=4A4C5A96-9A9C-41A7-B1C3-7B957037E25A&Options=&Search=
Please provide a determination on this request in 10 days or sooner if possible. Please let me know if you require a 14 day extension. Please contact me if I can further clarify the records I am seeking. Thank you for your hard work.